Pages

29 July 2012

Walnut Raisin Bread

I had not planned to do any baking that morning but it was such a waste of some extra time since I had got up earlier than usual. Besides, I had bought some walnuts, but have yet to get active with the walnuts that I had toasted.

Toast walnuts at 375 degree for 5-10 minutes on foil/parchment paper till fragrant. Be careful not to over brown them. Keep them fresh in a jar for later use.

Looking through my recipes and bread ingredients, I found that I am short of 100 gm of bread flour. Not to be deterred, I substituted the shortage with wheat flour, and it turned out just great.

Walnut Raisin Bread
Ingredients :
300 g high protein flour or 200 g bread flour and 100 g wheat flour
7 g active yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
½ yolk (original recipe is 1 yolk)
40 g castor sugar
¼ tsp salt
140 g water
50 g walnuts coarsely chopped, 50 g raisins
3 tabsp olive oil (original recipe is 20 g butter)
3 extra walnuts, chopped, for decoration
3 tabsp water and 1 tsp red wine (original recipe is 2 tabsp orange juice or rum), I add an extra tabsp water to replace the half egg yolk
¼ tap instant coffee granules (omitted by leehwa)
10 g milk powder (omitted by leehwa)

The reason, I substituted the butter with olive oil and omitted the milk powder is that my hubby does not take milk products (even a teeny bit) and does not like eggs in his bread. I do not like to use margarine, a trans fat which is not so healthy.

I find the consistency a bit wet when I add the 3 tabsp of water, otherwise it is pretty dry from but then I find difficult to handle dough always taste so much better.

Method : (as modified by leehwa)
  1. Prepare starter dough with some sugar, yeast and 40 gm water. 
  2. Allow it to ferment well for about 10 mins.
  3. Combine the rest of the dry ingredients together. ( flours, sugar and salt). Add int the egg yolk.
  4. Mix in the olive oil and water gradually. (including rum mixture if using)
  5. Knead well till smooth and elastic.
  6. Spread or roll out dough a little and spread the raisings and walnuts on the dough.
  7. Knead lightly, shape into a round ball and leaving in a oiled bowl, covered with a piece of damp tea-towel. Let it proof for about 40 minutes or double in size.
  8. Punch down dough and divide into 4 equal portions.
  9. Roll into long buns, leave aside on a lightly greased try. Let it proof for another 30 minutes or double in size.
  10. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with the extra chopped walnuts. (you could brush with milk or egg mixture too).
  11. Bake at 375 deg/190 deg. for 15 to 20 mins. or until cooked.


They tasted just great, soft and fragrant. You could reduce walnuts a little if you do not like their slightly natural bitter taste. It’s a yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment