Pages

28 November 2012

Hand Cast Removed



How am I doing? What is the prognosis upon removal of the cast on my hand?

Fortunately, the fracture along my 5th metacarpal has healed. That means I do not need any further treatment. All I need to do is some simple hand exercises and physiotherapy to recover the full range of functions of my hand, including my wrist. Simple enough, isn’t it?

After being in a cast for exactly 23 days, my hand, particularly my 4th and 5th fingers have forgotten some of the motions they have been doing for fifty over years.

There appears to be some venous congestion and tightness. I could not bend and close my fingers tightly to form a clenched fist over the middle of my palm. So there you have me, not only trying to bend my fingers to form a tight fist, but clenching my teeth as I bear with the pain to work those lazy muscles, tendons and ligaments. For the first 20 hrs, the pain was practically unbearable, but fearing the worst, I persevere and finally could see some progress. The full strength and scope of movement has yet to materialize but
I am now confident, that all will be well and soon too.

For the past 23 days I have been cradling my right casted hand like a baby and being very respectful of my left hand. My left hand had stood and still stands in good stead of my right hand, although I could not lift something heavy or that which require enormous dexterity.

I have even been able to write a few legible words and am thankful that my dear left hand has served me well in my hour of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment