Pages

06 February 2012

Chinese New Year Flu


I had picked up the flu virus a couple of days before the Chinese New Year (which falls on 23rd Jan. 2012). How have I been? I was surely feeling poorly though not down for the first few days. Surprisingly I was feeling very active in spite of the flu. Conclusion: could be because it is the Chinese New Year and there seemed so much I wanted to get done.

my new year mask
Today, (7th Feb, in Malaysia) I feel so much better, although I cannot say I have been feeling good for the past two weeks. Two weeks! What a waste of time! In fact since Chinese New Year I have been taking it so easy and resting so much….

What is a cough?

Coughing occurs when the nerve endings in your airways become irritated, it is a natural reflex to protect your lungs and help clear your airways of mucus, smoke or even pollens. It can also be a symptom of a medical condition.

I sometimes go through bouts of prolonged coughing after a flu or common cold. This has been since a couple of operations about thirty (30) years ago, with one chronic cough lasting as long as nine (9) months. Yes, who is keeping track.

This time round
I have been coughing a lot for the first week, had so much mucus down my throat and up my nose especially in the morning. Then the old bad habit of coughing at any little irritant came back. I could not get out of the house as it is so windy in the evening, now with the North East monsoon season. I could not switch on the fan (not even the old, slow fan).

Actually, I have not been coughing persistently for the past week, just on and off but each cough would hurt so much on the side of my left ribs. The doctors said, I have been coughing too much and had pulled my muscles. I did improve, staying clear of irritants that had given me so much trouble.

Today, I feel much better and when I do cough, rarely (touch wood) I press down on my side hard to support it and it does help.

Reading about what others have been going through helps. Found some encouragement and comfort 
at http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic52165.html. The internet is such a wonderful source of 
information (you will have to filter them through). My problem seems so insignificant now; 
it is a far cry from how I felt yesterday.

I hope that I have been able to avert spreading the flu virus to those of you who are so kind as
to share their Chinese New Year celebrations with me. 


The above are just my personal thoughts and reflections. 
Kindly consult a doctor if you are not feeling well.

No comments:

Post a Comment